There are two primary types of competitive web performance benchmarks that you would consider running – internal benchmarks and external benchmarks. The purpose of these benchmarks is to understand web performance in comparison to both internal and external landscapes.
Internal benchmarks are useful for companies that either manage multiple brands or operate local websites in multiple locations. These can help a company in several ways:
- Identifying companies or local teams that require more performance support than others.
- Identifying improvement opportunities.
- Helping to refine best practice (look to the fastest sites to see what works well for them).
- Creating internal healthy competition.
External benchmarks can be used to compare a site vs any major competitors. These are especially useful for commercial teams, who need to understand whether other sites have a competitive edge over them. These are also helpful for SEO purposes, since performance is a ranking factor for Google SERPS (search engine results pages).
Parameters to consider for benchmarking purposes
- Methodology – Synthetic data or Chrome UX report data
- Geographies – Where to run test or get data from
- Device type – desktop, mobile, tablet
- Speed – Connection speed, latency and packet loss
- Performance metrics – there are a range of performance metrics and page weight values that you will want to consider capturing
Optimal’s benchmarking services
We work with our clients to design and deliver specialist custom benchmarking reports, which are useful for business, operational teams and senior leadership teams.
Benchmarking reports work on an agreed methodology, and with an agreed set of outcomes that a client is looking for. Often times these are combined with optimization analysis to help clients understand why one site or page is faster than another.
Reports can be delivered in multiple formats – typically in one of the following:
- Presentation – Powerpoint, Google Slides
- Document – Word, PDF
- Spreadsheet – Excel, Google Sheets
- Custom Dashboards or Web Pages – Grafana, D3.js
Reports can also be delivered at different frequencies – daily, weekly, monthly, one off. We can also track performance over time.
Are you interested in setting up a benchmark study? Contact us with your requirements.